Photo Information

Corey Johnson, Falcons strong safety, intercepts a pass from the Marine Air Support Squadron 3 Blacklist quarterback at Paige Field House aboard Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif. Oct. 15. The Falcons improved their record to 6-1 with one game left in the regular season.

Photo by Lance Cpl. Owen Kimbrel

Falcon's defense takes charge

16 Oct 2013 | Lance Cpl. Owen Kimbrel 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing

The Marine Corps Air Station Miramar Falcons football team moved to 6-1, dominating land and air in true Marine Corps fashion, at Paige Field House aboard Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif., Oct. 15.

The Falcons won the toss and elected to defer the ball to the second half. They kicked off to the Marine Air Support Squadron 3 Blacklists who muffed the ball and found themselves backed up against their own end zone to start the game. The Falcons’ defense stopped the Blacklists in their tracks and ended the series with a safety with 9:28 left in the first quarter.

The Falcon’s defense held strong the entire night, forcing fumbles and interceptions, making it hard for the Blacklist’s offense to even breathe. Antwon Harris, Falcons defender, recovered a fumble at the 24 yard line with 5:02 left in the first. The fumble would lead to a 25 yard field goal putting the Falcons up 5-0.

The defense would strike again in the second quarter, recovering another fumble which led the Falcon’s offense to score a touchdown from wide receiver Jeremy Rodriguez, adding to the Falcons’ lead, making it 12-0 with 7:14 left in the second quarter.

An interception by Antoino Hayden, Falcons cornerback, would set up a Falcons touchdown from a pass by Casey Rogers to wide receiver Hermann Dillard, making the score 19-0.

A Falcons special teams play would lead them into the locker room with a 26-0 half-time lead.

The Blacklists kicked off to the Falcons to start the second half and the ball landed in Falcons kick returner Ryan Sivels’s hands. Sivels would turn on the jets and leave the Blacklists in the dust, scoring another touchdown for the Falcons making the score 34-0 and sealing the Blacklist’s fate.

The Falcons would finish the game with a pick-six from Corey Johnson, Falcons strong safety, making the final score 41-0.

Falcons head coach Master Gunnery Sgt. Carlice Moffett congratulated his players at the end of the game and had a few words on the Falcon’s win. “I’m very pleased with the performance but we still have work to do to get ready for the playoffs. We are going to continue to execute in practice and work on the fundamentals,” said Moffett.

The Falcons will look to add another win when they retake the field against 11th Marines Oct. 22 at Paige Field House.